Sunday, May 25, 2008

Stonehenge, Stonehedge and Stonehendge


I was writing a blog post earlier today on National Geographic's upcoming show, "Stonehenge Decoded" and also my Stonehenge Wristwatch on eBay. As I was writing the post I constantly misspelling the word Stonehenge, wanting instead to spell it Stonehedge or Stonehendge. I think its because my mind's ear hears a "d" somewhere in there, and demands that I acknowledge it.
I got to thinking that maybe I'm not the only one with this specific spelling problem. So I ran a few variations of the word through GTrends and found some interesting results. According to GTrends, if you scored number #1 in Google for the keyword "Stonehenge," you could expect about 7500 visitors a day. Not bad at all. If you scored #1 for the misspelled "Stonehedge," you'd do about 1,000 a day. That's pretty stout traffic for a misspelling. And if you went with "Stonehendge" (my favorite), you would still attract about 250 visitors a day.
Obviously, when it comes to Stonehenge/hedge/hendge there is a lot of traffic wandering lost. A smart marketer in that arena would try to find a way to round up the strays.

No comments: