Thursday, May 8, 2008

Pictures of Willy Pogany's Murals at Wyntoon

Speaking of Willy Pogany (see below), I have for years been intrigued by the wonderful murals Pogany did for the Hearst summer mansion, Wyntoon. Wyntoon is in northern California, at the end of a private road, near McCoud. Unlike Hearst Castle, you can't just go visit and take in the sights so most people don't even know it exists. And the Hearst have never gone out of their way to publicize the home. Once when my Dad and I were chasing trout around Lake McCloud we came across the estate from the back side...couldn't really get close enough to get a great look but sure wished we had binoculars with us.
Anyway, today I stumbled on some great photographs taken by a fellow named Richard Turk Jr. Richard apparently had full access to the Wyntoon property, as he's posted a bunch of views of the buildings. As a Pogany fan I'm very excited about Richard's photos as pics of these murals are very hard to find. Architecture fans will also love the views of these incredible buildings designed by San Francisco architect Julia Morgan

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I grew up in New York City in a building called The Eldorado which has a giant Pogany mural across the back wall of the lobby. It depicts a large troupe of "pilgrims" (though they're very hip looking) making their way laboriously across a narrow bridge to a golden city. I'm trying to find out more information about the mural - when it was painted, who brokered the deal, whether there are any preliminary sketches, etc. Any thoughts on where I should look? If I can get a good enough shot of the mural I'll try to post it here. (Lobby is very dark...)

Rich said...

Hey Sam, I wish I could shed some light on the Eldorado mural but its all new to me. Did just find what look like promising links to researching NYC architecture at this Columbia U website

Anonymous said...

Sam - are you familiar with the Pogany ceilings at the John and Mable Ringling Museum of Art in Sarasota, FL? They are in the Ballroom and Game Room at the Ca d'Zan - John Ringling's waterfront Venetian style mansion. If not, check out www.ringling.org and plan to come and see them!
I am anxious to see more of his murals/ceilings, especially in NYC.
Virginia veetash@comcast.net