Thursday, June 5, 2008

Clair de Lune by Alphonse Mucha


Often I feel like I'm creating product in a vacuum, just toss it out there and see if anybody likes it. That's why I love it when a customer requests that I work up a product with a certain graphic or piece of art. Then I know at least two people will be happy when I'm done with the work.
Had a request to put a work of Alphonse Mucha on a cigarette case. Clair de Lune was a print Mucha did in 1902 and she is absolutely wonderful.
The dimensions aren't quite right to drop it right onto a case and I didn't want to crop any of her. Plus the customer wanted the border dropped.
So I lifted Clair out of the view and then expanded the background, keeping Mucha's style. After getting the background to the right size I was able to drop Clair back into the scene, adding a little extra black outlining to make her stand out.
I think the finished cigarette case came out pretty nice. Of course, it helps when you start with beautiful art. Mucha's work is incredible and very popular these days. And most, if not all, of his work has gone into the public domain, at least in the US.

No comments: