Tuesday, April 15, 2008

The U S Navy's First Modern Battleship

I'm a big fan of the art of Rufus Zogbaum. Zogbaum was one of the leading historical artists of the late 1800s and early 1900s...doing lots of military, maritime and western scenes. I think his western stuff is every bit as good as Remington and Russell.
I just put together a windproof lighter for eBay sales which features some Zogbaum art. This is the USS Indiana, the United States Navy's first modern battleship commissioned in 1895. Zogbaum did this piece for Harper's in 1896 and I have a great original print of it. The only change I made for the lighter is to add the "USS Indiana" at the top. Otherwise its just as Zogbaum saw it.
Find the USS Indiana Windproof Lighter at my eBay store, All-4-Corners.
I also have the Indiana art on a really cool cigarette case that I hope to roll out sometime next week. Keep an eye out for that.

No comments: