Wednesday, April 16, 2008

eBay Now Monitoring Users Computers

eBay Security made an announcement a couple days ago that gives me real problems. But I don't hear any other voices raised. so maybe its just me...does no one else have a problem with this announcement from John Canfield?

To protect the Community against this type of fraud, beginning today, eBay will start noting which computers members typically use to conduct their buying and selling activity. After our data collection phase, sometime in June eBay will begin verifying our sellers when they list an item to ensure they are logging in from the same machines they have successfully used previously – usually a home or business computer.

If you are a seller, and you attempt to list an item from a different computer – for example, from a PC you are borrowing in a hotel or library – eBay will make an automated call to the phone number you have registered with us to confirm it is really you. We may also prompt you to verify your identity in other ways.


So eBay is monitoring users, and if we use different computers from time to time it will flag their crook-o-meter? I don't get that at all.
I'm looking forward to doing some traveling this summer and I know I'll be accessing my auctions from public computers and bumming from friends. Can I expect a call to my home phone from Guido in eBay Security? Too bad, I won't be home.

Can somebody explain this to me?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

eBay has always monitored our computers! Your going to be in a bad situation, along with dial up users where the IP changes, who knows what else they are looking at. Sure, if you travel or use work and school and home computers it will likely raise a flag. Crazy we need to be by the phone, like HOUSE ARREST! There are a lot of sites with that info on IP, which I think is the biggest flag. eBay is going have a problem with this, like so many problems they have with changes, they all suck for a seller that's for sure. Look at http://whatismyipaddress.com/ to get a better understanding of IP and also look at www.suspended-from-ebay.com too, there is more on the IP thing and other info that may explain, I am sure.

GOOD LUCK!